Sunday, August 10, 2008

Matthew's First Texan Game Aug. 9, 2008

Matthew's Godfather/Unkie Jude gave us some tickets to the Texan's preseason game against the Denver Broncos on Saturday. When these tickets were first offered to us, I was skeptical. I didn't think that Matthew would sit still for a football game. We decided to attend the game knowing that a fussy Matthew might force us to leave soon after getting to the stadium. It might appear from the photos that he has been programmed to like football since Christmas.

We got to Reliant Stadium slightly after kick-off and got to our seats at 7:15PM. We rode up 3 escalators to get to our seats. I could tell that Matthew sensed the magnitude and the height of the arena. He was mesmerized by the sea of people all around him. I thought the experience might be overwhelming. At first he clung to me and did not want me to face him towards the game. I thought it was because he was scared but I later found out that the fans behind us were waving and smiling at him. We were in close quarters so I felt lucky to be sitting next to a very patient woman. Matthew kept trying to grab her hair and tap her on the arm to get her attention. She seemed to be okay with it.
Every time the Texans made a good play the audience roared. Matthew used his newly acquired clapping skills and this amused the fans behind us. They egged him on and he bounced up and down on my lap every time the crowd applauded. It seemed like Matthew made some new friends until he discovered that he could reach their $7 beers that were in a holder right behind my seat. Fortunately, the beer bottles were empty but he got some big laughs which encouraged him to continue to lunge toward the bottles. He lasted well into the last quarter before he started rubbing his eyes and showing signs that he was tired. It was 10PM (an hour past his usual bed time). Matthew's presence brought the Texan's good luck. The Texans beat the Broncos 19-16. He is now ready to watch an Astros game in September and maybe another football game this season. Don't worry, I will keep him away from the beer.

At the risk of looking like a bad Mom, I am adding a funny photo that shows Matthew's fascination with beer bottles. Since this photo was taken in February, Matthew's Uncle Jude featured it in his party invitation for his crawfish boil.



2 comments:

MommaHolmes07 said...

I say this Beerree boootttle does not work to well. No Ma, I only had one, two, I mean one. Give me the Keys I'll drive, I'll Drive.

Matthew (as translated by Chris Holmes)

Dan S said...

Hey, I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!