Wednesday, March 5, 2008

6 Month Well Baby Check-Up--No Need for Crying

Today I took Matthew for his 6 Month Well Baby Exam. It went very smoothly. The nurse saw us immediately and took Matthew's stats: 19lbs 8 oz. (75-90%) and 29 inches (off the charts-Surprise Surprise!). While we waited to see the doc, Matthew had a lot of fun playing with the white paper that they use to cover up the examination table. He loved the crinkling and the wadding up. He did it so much that I rolled out some new paper for him.. he did the same to the new paper. We repeated this sequence one more time and then the doctor came in when Matthew was surrounded by the mess that we made. (Note to self: bring video camera next time)

The doc said that Matthew is looking great. He has excellent fine and gross motor skills for his age. ("gross" motor skills isn't referring to the pooping I learned). She also said that he is ready for solid foods. She told me cereal, pureed fruit and vegetables will work. I have already spoken to my friend Laura whose 6 month old son, Collin, is already eating these foods. She directed me to this great website: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/ This website gives instructions about how to make homemade baby food. We will start off with cereal tonight and then progress to other foods. The doc even mentioned that giving him a bagel or teething biscuit will be fine so that he can practice gnawing on something.

After the doc was finished the nurse came in with three syringes. (Notice in the photo above that Matthew has 3 "owies" with bandages on them). I spoke to Matthew while he got his three shots. After each shot he looked at me as if to say, "Should I cry now, Mommy?" of course I said my trademark, "No need for crying." Surprisingly, it worked.. he didn't cry. I am just hoping that this phrase will work in the future when Matthew is in his terrible twos and is deciding whether or not to have a temper tantrum. Only time will tell.

2 comments:

MommaHolmes07 said...

Yeah Matthew!! It sounds like he did great with the shots. Welcome to solid foods. Be sure to use a drop cloth when you first start...hahaha

Dan S said...

Gross also refers to what comes out the other end. Sadly, I've become way more familiar with both than I ever wanted!