Monday, April 11, 2011

Space Race 2011 with Matthew and Space Monkey

On Sunday April 10th, Tony and I rode in the Space Race with Matthew in the trailer. Tony did the honors of transporting the extra 50+ pounds (trailer + Matthew) behind him for the 20 miles. What Tony wasn't ready for was the headwind for the majority of the ride. I have to admit my ride was a LOT easier because I rode behind Tony and Matthew. I had to keep an eye on Matthew, but this allowed me to draft off of my 6'5" husband. In other words Tony did ALL of the work. Tony got a great work out and I got only 1/3 of the mileage I wanted.. but no complaints because we had a great time with Matthew.

Before the ride, 8AM Sunday morning Matthew was given a new NASA Space Monkey to celebrate the occasion:




At the rest stop where Matthew got some cookies and then played in the playground before returning into his trailer for the remaining hour and a half.




Tony crossing the finish line, being cheered on by many enthusiastic volunteers.





Matthew and Tony eating their post ride McDonalds hamburgers. Did I mention that Ronald McDonald House was the charity being supported. It would also explain the next photo.


I think you have to be at least 30 years old in order to remember these guys, Grimace and Hamburgler. Where have they been for the last 20 years? One theory is that they have been in prison and recently released.. wait that was an Onion article. Either way, I think Matthew's expression shows that he is a little leery about associating with these guys.


After the ride Matthew gave Jacob one of the granola bars that he got at a rest stop. Jacob loved it.


Also, Jacob wanted me to post this photo of a gift he got from his Uncle/Aunt and Cousin Trinity:

No comments: